Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ted Knight...Ted Baxter...Henry Rush


On August 27, 1986, the day after TED KNIGHT died, The Turtles (as they were billed) gave a FREE concert in Wilmington, Delaware in Rodney Square as part of a series of summer concerts for the city that year (Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals also did one of these). I was a teenage Turtles fan (and somewhat of a mutant) and I recorded the show on my cheap little cassette recorder close to the front of the stage. Flo & Eddie (Howard Kaylan & Mark Volman) were great as they sang their hits, parodied Flashdance, Springsteen, Dire Straits, The Doors and they even did some Mothers stuff. Mark did the cowbell solo on "She'd Rather Be With Me" and they cracked 'Delaware' jokes every chance they got including an impromtu blues number with the lyric "Oh, Delaware you're gonna be the death of me yet." Of course, they closed the set with "Happy Together" and Wilmington for ONCE was kind of cool.

But the best part of the show was their spontaneous musical tribute to the freshly deceased Ted Knight with an impromptu "Love Is All Around" (written by the buddy of Buddy Holly, Sonny Curtis), the theme from the "Mary Tyler Moore" show complete with the MTM kitten "meow" at the end.



THE TURTLES "Love Is All Around" August 27, 1986 Wilmington, DE MP3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZS31D8TV

1 comment:

  1. I remember this happening, I remember both you telling me about the Ted Knight thing, and then hearing it as well...I completely forget why I didn't go to the show. I know it was the Turtles and all, but it was free. Hahaha that was way back in the Conflict/Telly Kojak days

    ReplyDelete