Thursday, April 22, 2010


If you don’t think Lenny Bruce is funny, then you’re just not paying attention. He was a thinking comic, a storyteller who was always looking for his next punchline. When I listen to Lenny Bruce, I love concentrating on his thoughts and I'm instantly reminded of his comedic GENIUS (there I said it) and his way with words. He’s like the HENDRIX of comedy. And you know when he’s really funny because Lenny will crack himself up.

They called him obscene and arrested him for it. Cocksuckers. He was super intelligent and continuously hip. You will be too if you listen to more Lenny Bruce. They should arrest Dane Cook for being obscene. He’s obscene to me.

The bio movie’s OK but it should be called “Dustin.” There’s an incredible 6 CD comedy bonanza on Rhino Records that is probably cheaply found with dust all over it in the box set corner of your local Mom & Pop store. You can’t really buy a ‘bad’ Lenny Bruce album.

Lenny’s autobiography “How To Talk Dirty And Influence People” is required reading and one of the few books that I re-read now and then. A recommended place to start.
Phil Spector released 2 LENNY BRUCE albums on his label. They consist of revealing live recordings recorded in small clubs and Phil assembled the tapes (recorded between 1963-1966) with love. If I could go back in time, I would love to sit with Phil and Lenny at a Canter’s table, which they frequented during these times. I recently took a drive up to the Hollywood Hills house where Lenny died and I’ve been on a listening kick again.

Lenny Bruce Is Out Again (Philles 1966)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z8FT0UNG

















The Law, The Language & Lenny Bruce (Warner/Spector 1974)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0AWFZWHJ

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff man! I don't have either of these two. Anyone who doesn't think Lenny Bruce is funny is either a complete prude or extremely unintelligent. This guy blew away doors for a slew of others to come through. Legend!

    ReplyDelete