Monday, January 3, 2011

THE BUCKINGHAMS Mercy, Mercy, Mercy COLUMBIA 45


THE BUCKINGHAMS
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy b/w You Are Gone
Columbia #4-44182 Released 1967

This Chicago quintet were produced and arranged by James William Guercio who achieved amazing success with Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago in the 1970s. The Buckinghams had a lot of chart hits including this one which is written by Joe Zawinul, the great jazz keyboardist.

Other hit singles for The Buckinghams include their only #1, “Kind Of A Drag,” plus “Don’t You Care” and “Hey Baby, They’re Playing Our Song” but this one may be my favorite with the brass cutting through a solid Stax groove and soulful harmonies.

The b-side is a moody Bacharach-style ballad that also reminds me of “Hurt So Bad.” Hearing the inventive ending of this cut makes me realize that I need more Buckinghams in my collection.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7MJ7GMNP

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that went down easy. So I had a double shot. Haven't heard that one in forever. Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete