Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band--Original Motion Picture Soundtrack


I love Peter Frampton. I love the Bee Gees. Aerosmith rules and Earth, Wind & Fire are incredible. I'm a big fan of Steve Martin, Alice Cooper and George Burns is a Hollywood legend. Most of all, I'm a HUGE Beatles fan and believe they are responsible for some of the best music ever created. Now how could this movie have went SO WRONG??

I saw this movie twice when I was a kid. The first time was when it first opened and all that I knew was that I enjoyed it more than the first time I saw Star Wars. The second time was with a school friend at the 'budget' theatre and I tried to catch up on what I 'missed' the first time around.

The 'Introducing Sandy Farina' credit should be followed by a 'Farewell Sandy Farina' credit at the end of the movie. And the "all-star" singalong at the end of the film lists ex-Raiders Mark Lindsay and Keith Allison among the celebrity crowd but I have a hard time finding their faces.C'mon, the R.S.O. double soundtrack album can't be all that bad can it? George Martin produced the music and guests like Jeff Beck have to add to the quality, right? Unfortunately, the album is REALLY BAD with hints of disco and over-produced tracks with overblown ideas (the cocaine overflow must have been incredible). The Alice Cooper "Because" is a waste of time, Steve Martin is NOT funny and Frampton's voice is devoid of any soul and Manilow-esque in delivery (sorry Barry, check out "The Long & Winding Road" for Peter's cringeworthy lead vocal). The best tracks on this soundtrack (EWF and Aerosmith) are available elsewhere. Here's your chance to hear for yourself!
Disc 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HLXCODEA
Disc 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JI46H86N

2 comments:

  1. I have seen some horrible films. I mean shove your entire hand up your ass and scrape the shit out of your colon bad, but none of them had the potentially great players involved as this. None of them sucked quite as bad either... I can't even stress how much I wanted to like this film. In contrast I can't even stress how much I did not. In my opinion the saving grace is Billy Preston who doesn't show up until near the end... he dances and sings his ass off, in a not so bad version of Get back...all the while wearing the patented Billy preston smile, it's an infectious smile, and difficult not to wear one yourself when his is plastered on his face. This film was one of my ex-wifes guilty pleasures, so I saw it a lot more than I needed to. It's a lot more fresh in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand - I don't think this movie was THAT bad. I must the only fan.

    ReplyDelete